Friday, April 11, 2008

Tuesday Tell All: Collections

I was introduced to this blog called Tuesday Tell All over a month ago but have been slow getting around to participating. Hopefully, over the next few days, I'll be able to catch up on the last several topics. The first topic I'm going to talk about is "Collections."

What collections did you have as a child? What do you collect now. This week share with us some of your treasures from the past or present.

I wasn't really good at sticking to one collection. I had (have) a tendency to collect a few of one thing and then a few of another. One of my best collections from childhood (and I still have) is my sticker album. Here are pictures of the cover and one of my favorite pages:



Nate even still has his sticker album. We have several duplicate stickers between us. Stickers albums were definitely all the rage in the 80's. After seeing our albums, Jefferson has decided that he wants one. I haven't looked for one yet, but I assume they still sell them- stickers are still popular among kids.

The next largest collection I had were figurines. My sister collected unicorns and I collected Pegasuses. My parents would get us a couple a year for birthdays or Christmas, or sometimes when they just found a really cool one. They were displayed in the china cabinet. I still have them, but they have been packed up in a box for the last several years. I just don't have a good place to put them- especially with 3kids (and rambunctious boys, at that) running around the house. I briefly collected "Precious Moments" figurines and still have those in a box, as well.

I've always had a fascination with money- not necessarily spending it, just counting it and looking at the different types and old coins, and such. My dad has several different coin books, so I never felt a huge need to start my own, but I do have the state quarters and several 2 dollar bills.



My current collection would have to be dragonflies. I don't have a lot, because I'm super picky about which ones I like, but I do have a Tiffany-style dragonfly lamp, a ceiling-mount dragonfly light, a vase, dragonfly dishes (that are treated like china), dragonfly fabric covered lampshades, pillows, and more. If it's more in the style of the Arts & Crafts movement, I'll probably like it. Our house has kind-of become the "find the dragonfly in this room" place.

No comments: