Thursday, July 10, 2008

My Accident-Proneness Strikes Again!

*If you don't like hearing about injuries that involve blood, I recommend skipping this post and averting your eyes from the pictures*

In June, we took a family vacation with all of Nate's family (minus a few) to St. George. Despite the heat, we had lots of fun, but of course I can't do anything without at some point hurting myself, so I decided the 2nd full day there I should drop a cast iron cookie sheet on my foot in the afternoon while I was trying to get my desserts made for Father's Day. Ouch! Almost the WORST.PAIN.EVER! Blood was pumping so hard under my big toe nail that I really felt like my toe was going to explode. I made it to the couch to sit down and prop my leg up, which allowed the pain to slightly subside, and had Nate get me some pain medication. Standing up was torture, sleeping was torture, and laying down was even mostly torture. I lasted until the next morning when I decided I had to get something done with my toe. We went to the Instacare and paid our insane $75 co-pay so that I could get two holes poked in my toe nail to allow the blood pressure to be released. The doctor who performed the procedure kept apologizing to me for causing me additional pain, but I kept insisting to her that it was much less painful than it was before I walked into the room. It was amazing how two tiny holes in my toenail could change my pain level so dramatically. I was able to walk out of there with very little discomfort- nearly pain free! She did give me a prescription for pain meds since sleeping would still definitely be an issue- anything that even brushed against my toe sent pain running through me. I only took the medicine at night and only 6 times, yet I still got addicted enough that it took me well over a week to really start sleeping okay again without it. I've always been cautious with prescription meds, and that just taught me more how important it is to be cautious.

Here's my toe!
The first picture was taken before I went to the doctor, the second was taken shortly after getting home (and my camera wasn't cooperating, so it's blurry), and the last picture is from yesterday (three and a half weeks after I injured it).



I will lose my toenail, which will be gross, and my toe is still extra-sensitive to touch. The kids have kindly stepped on my toe about 50 times in the last few weeks and even Nate has done it a few times.

So the funny thing is, I had briefly considered letting Nate's dad poke the holes in my toenail to save money, and that same day I hurt it there was an episode of like "Deadliest Catch" or something on Discovery Channel and one of the men on that show smashed their toe or thumb and did the whole hole-poking thing, so we even had a mini-lesson in what to do. I'm glad I went to the doctor, though, because I was given instructions for proper care of my toe and some good meds (despite the addiction thing- the ibuprofen just wasn't hacking it).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So gross! I remember when you did that at girls' camps and I helped support you while you hopped to the infirmary. Not a big deal, usually, except, we had to get around rocks and tree roots, etc. This also counts as my memory lane.

Speaking of, remember the spider bite I got on my eye at girls' camp? Well, I got an even worse one on my boob on my last night in Oregon. I don't even have any juicy stories to go with it. The first day we arrived, Duff's brother Rob showed me (or tried anyway. I covered my eyes) a black widow carcass that he found in his garage. So, when I found the bite after I got home (all swollen, red, streaky and angry) I started to freak out. It turned out to be fine. I swear I've never felt so violated (even if it was only by a spider).