Sunday, May 11, 2008

Spiders

As a child, spiders didn't really bother me (I even touched a tarantula at zoo camp)- actually, I didn't really have a problem with any bugs. Well, that time has long passed and now I'm not so fond of spiders (or ants, in large numbers). The other day we came across the largest spider we've seen inside our house. Really not all that big, but it was black and a little hairy and just not my favorite kind to look at. Poor Jefferson has a severe fear of spiders (he doesn't even like to see pictures of them) and he was the one to discover it. After unsuccessfully spraying it with a couple different household cleaners to paralyze and/or kill it, it swung towards me and headed down onto the carpet. I quickly grabbed a glass and trapped it and then, using a piece of cardboard as the bottom, transported the glass to the counter to let Nate finish the job. After having the spider swing at me on it way to the ground, I was done.

Here is a pictured of the captured spider (sorry, it's a bit blurry but it's body was at least a 1/2 long and it could easily span an inch with it's legs spread):

3 comments:

peter5 said...

Yeah, I don't do spiders well either. We get black widows here. It is really fun to find on inside, like just under my dining room table. EWWW

Sarah H. said...

EEEEEkkkkk!! Paul and I both have a severe case of aranophobia(sp?). It is so awful. Neither one of us wants to go close to the huge spiders. I think he is worse than me 'cause I have killed some whoppers in my day and after that we get our house sprayed. The money is so worth it to us. Now Noah is catching it and won't go near the spiders. Gabe will touch anything, but I don't want him to get the yucky ones. Anyway, I would have freaked out especially if it swung towards me. Yikes!

Jenny said...

yikes. i hate spiders. they scare me silly.